Hobart Airport welcome new owners

QIC and Royal Schipol Group have acquired 70% equity.
November 21, 2019

In October, a consortium comprising of Australian-based asset manager QIC and Dutch-based airport operator, Royal Schiphol Group acquired a 70% equity interest in Hobart Airport. Tasmanian superannuation fund, Tasplan, holds the remaining 30% equity interest.

QIC and Schiphol are leading, long term investors in airports and infrastructure globally with over 110 years of experience in operating and developing airports. Both have deep sector expertise with a long and successful track record of delivering on significant capital expenditure projects in both Australia and globally.

With the sale now completed, the Board of Hobart Airport have met and reaffirmed they are excited about the future of Hobart Airport. As the key gateway for Tasmania, Hobart Airport management, along with the Board, are committed to being responsible stewards of the airport and look forward to working with key stakeholders to position the asset for sustainable long-term growth.

Chief Executive Officer, Ms Sarah Renner, said that she welcomes the new Board members and that the transition has been extremely smooth. Ms Renner and her team look forward to drawing on their extensive expertise to develop the airport to enhance the customer experience, improve operational efficiency and safeguard future scalability and flexibility of the airport to cater for the long-term growth potential.

“Hobart Airport is a major economic driver for the State, handling over 2.7 million passengers for financial year 2019, making it one of the fastest growing Australian airports.” Ms Renner said.

“Significant progress has already been made to date to facilitate the growth of the airport. As many travellers will be aware, we have just introduced power-in/push-back operations, allowing us to expand the number of aircraft we can handle at any one time from five to seven.  This increase in aircraft parking positions allows us to effectively manage our current growth forecasts.  Work is also continuing on the redevelopment of the precinct road system to improve safety and security for all users,” Ms Renner said.

The Board of Hobart Airport reaffirmed how excited they are about the future of Hobart Airport and their commitment to infrastructure development at Hobart Airport.

“Collectively, we are reviewing our terminal expansion plans to ensure that we provide the best opportunity for future growth, in a prudent and efficient manner, whilst also being mindful of the environment and community around us. This does take time and while this means that the previously announced terminal delivery date of December 2020 will not be achieved, we are extremely excited about expanding our domestic air services and converting on an international opportunity as soon as possible.  We are working with the airlines, and the Federal and State Governments and relevant agencies on achieving this.  The Airport is committed to ensuring Tasmanians get the best possible travel facilities, now and into the future” Ms Renner said.

Camera traps are also used to monitor the movements and better understand the behaviour of animals in the airport environment.  

Since the installation of camera traps in early 2016, images collected have shown that many threatened species use the environment around and within the airport boundary including the Tasmanian Devil, the Spotted quoll and the Tasmanian bettong.

We recognise our role in protecting the biodiversity of the airport and Tasmania more broadly and are confident this technology will assist us in doing so.

Environment Manager Kirsten Leggett

Initial testing of virtual fencing devices in Tasmania has seen a 50 per cent reduction in road kill deaths over a three-year period and has been instrumental in protecting the remaining Tasmanian Devil population.

The virtual fencing will be monitored by Hobart Airport’s environment team to capture and report data on the rates of roadkill deaths in the area and better understand the behaviour of the animals that call the airport home.

“We’re building better facilities and a better airport to serve our community”
Sarah Renner
Hobart Airport CEO